Our goal as a cosmetic dental care provider is to give pain relief and an overall beautiful smile to our patients. If you would like to learn more about our cosmetic services, please call us to schedule a consultation at (410) 257-2424.
Dunkirk, MD dentists Dr. Sclater and Dr. DeLeon are trained and certified by the American Academy of Facial Aesthetics, Allergan (the manufacturer of BOTOX® and JUVÉDERM®) and are members of the American Academy of Cosmetic Dentistry. Visit us to find out why their advanced knowledge of facial anatomy and extensive experience with dental injections create a natural choice when you choose a cosmetic dental specialist in Calvert County, MD and Southern Anne Arundel County, MD.
BOTOX® Treatment for Jaw Tension and TMJ
BOTOX® is used as an alternative treatment for TMJ (temporo-mandibular joint) disorders and associated jaw tension and pain. When injected into facial muscles afflicted with soreness and discomfort, BOTOX® relieves TMJ and jaw tension for many patients. The injections often eliminate headaches resulting from teeth grinding, and, in cases of severe stress, BOTOX® can even minimize lock jaw. Although BOTOX® treatment for these conditions is presently experimental; evidence indicates that it can be extremely effective.
How Does BOTOX® Treat Jaw Tension and TMJ Disorder?
Located on both sides of the head at the point where the jawbone meets the skull, the temporo-mandibular joint (TMJ) is used during talking, eating, swallowing, and other everyday activities. If this joint becomes displaced or is overworked through excessive teeth grinding, a person may suffer severe tension headaches, as well as sharp pain in the jaw. BOTOX® relieves jaw tension by making muscles unable to engage in the powerful, often unconscious movement of the jaw that produces headaches and pain.
The BOTOX® alternative treatment for TMJ disorders and jaw tension is usually quick, straightforward, and effective. A non-surgical procedure, BOTOX® injections are administered in a doctor’s office and treatment requires no hospital stay. Most patients experience noticeable improvement within one or two days of their first treatment, although relief can take up to a week.
Areas Affected by TMJ Botox Therapy
Only the areas injected with Botox will be “relaxed.” Botox treatment for TMJ therapy will not affect anywhere else in your body. The injections are mainly in the temporalis, frontalis and masseter (see picture below) additional sites may be injected with Botox depending on the severity of the headaches.
Did you know:
- Neurotoxins = #1 nonsurgical procedure since 2002
- BOTOX® is the only FDA-approved product to temporarily improve the appearance of both moderate to severe frown lines between the brows and crow’s feet lines in adults.
What is BOTOX® Cosmetic?
- BOTOX® Cosmetic is the only approved treatment to temporarily improve the appearance of both moderate to severe frown lines between the brows and crow’s feet lines in adults.
- BOTOX® Cosmetic is a nonsurgical, injectable treatment performed in one of our treatment rooms by a healthcare professional.
What BOTOX® Cosmetic is NOT:
- It is NOT a surgical procedure
- It is NOT a filler (a substance that is injected into certain areas of the face to “fill in” wrinkles)
- It is NOT permanent
When will I see results?
- You may begin to notice results within 24 to 48 hours for moderate to severe frown lines, with results lasting up to 4 months.
Will BOTOX® Cosmetic make me look like I’ve had work done?
- BOTOX® Cosmetic is a technique-sensitive treatment. You should not lose the ability to show expression when you are treated by someone who is licensed, trained, and a medical expert in facial anatomy. It is important to talk to us about the results you want from treatment.
Does BOTOX® Cosmetic treatment hurt?
- Some patients report that being injected with BOTOX® Cosmetic feels like a pinch. We may use ice to numb the treatment area. If you are concerned about discomfort, we may apply a topical numbing cream before administering your treatment.
How long is the recovery time after treatment?
- After your treatment, you can resume your day. There is minimal downtime and we may give you specific aftercare instructions...see our website for specific pre and post-procedure recommendations.
Do men receive BOTOX® Cosmetic treatment?
- Yes. BOTOX® Cosmetic has also been clinically evaluated in male patients.
*Photos provided by BOTOX®
We are very proud to announce we are now a participating provider with the Brilliant Distinctions Rewards Program. To take advantage of money-saving opportunities when you receive JUVÉDERM® and BOTOX®, simply register before your next appointment. Questions? Feel free to call us at (410) 257-2424 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org